This weekend I decided to harvest the honey supers on the Blue/Purple and Purple/White hive.
The bees haven't been bringing in any appreciable amount of new nectar in the last two weeks, so I decided now is as good a time as any to extract.
My dad brought our home-made extractor over to my house, and a few hours of pulling frames, decapping them and putting them through the extractor, we were ready to filter the honey.
One thing I wanted to try was chunk honey. This spring I used pure wax foundation in one of my supers so that I could make chunk honey.
Below you can see 4 jars and cut honey comb into them.
Then later, once the honey had a chance to settle and the air bubbles floated to the top, I filled the jars the rest of the way with extracted honey.
Here's a side view of the jar where you can see the side profile of the honey comb.
Here's a quart jar of pure summer honey next to a jar of chunk comb.
Oh I almost forgot, before we bottled the honey, we put the 5.75 gallons of honey on a scale that read 76 lbs.
Combined with this spring's honey harvest (3.75 gallons/48 lbs), we harvested a total of 9.5 gallons, or 124 lbs of honey from the backyard hives so far this year.