Ask the Audience: Wax Candle Burning
Last week I melted and filtered some beeswax.
After melting and filtering three times, I poured some of the melted wax into a 4 oz jelly jar and added a wooden wick we bought from a craft supply store. I also poured some wax into tealight candles with traditional wax string wicks.
I left the wicks slightly longer than the 1/4" recommended wick length for both the wooden and wax string wicks, to make sure they weren't too short.
I lit the tealight candle right away and the wick burnt brightly and the wax started to melt. About 10 minutes later, the wick was fizzling out, with a tiny glow of flame.
Below is a picture of the candle with the wooden wick, which did the same thing. I left this candle sit over night after pouring it to see if a 24 hour waiting period would help.
It didn't help. The wick burnt down to the wax, started to melt the wax and then began to smolder and fizzle out. To be clear, it never went out, just an ultra low flame.
Here's a video of the candle burning:
There are no additives, no scents, coloring or other items added to these candles, they're 100% pure bees wax.
Are they burning as expected? Candles I buy from the store that aren't 100% bees wax burn with a much more intense, taller flame.
Did I do something wrong, or is this just how beeswax candles burn?
I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments section, thanks!!
Update: Read the update to this article where I discovered that blending oils with beeswax was a big help.
Comments For This Post: (3) | Post Your Comments! Hide The Comment Form